I know I’ve talked about something similar to this before,
but I think I really found a profoundly reassuring way to cleanse the heart
today.
As I’m sure all of you fabulous people will know, I’ve been
moaning about being stuck in this big awful city, where there’s no nature, just
concrete, and waah waah waah waah waah!!
Well, today I finally got off of my ass and went in search
of some nature. Although, I’ll admit that it wasn’t exactly totally my first choice.
Apparently I’ve used up all of my monthly internet balance for November, so I’m
completely devoid of internet on my laptop until the 30th. EGADS.
While this means I can’t spend my time sitting on my ass
doing nothing over the weekend (such a shame, it’s really one of my favorite
past times…), I figured I had to be capable of doing something productive.
I read this blog on my phone (dogs in Qatar blog), and it
described (in great detail) how to get to the mangrove swamps south of Wakrah.
And I mean like serious description. I actually got really lost, but was
totally able to find my way there thanks to these killer directions. If you’ve
ever been in Qatar, you’ll know that actually being able to get somewhere is an
accomplishment in and of itself. Even if I did end up parking in the wrong
place and getting chastised by “Ahmed, the property manager for this area”.
I ended up making it out to the Shuwaisma coast guard
station just south of Wakrah. I wouldn’t be surprised if this station has been
here unchanged since the 60s. It was actually refreshing to see something that
wasn’t completely spotless and shiny and brimming with young, entitled Qataris.
Shuwaisma coast guard station has a sign whose paint is peeling, a rattling old
pickup truck, and the grandest looking tree for miles around. That tree must be
such an old landmark (it’s the only reason I knew where to go). When there’s
nothing around but flat, sandy desert, a 15ft tree really stands out.
I met a very nice Frenchman who was lounging near the
station in a lawn chair, looking as if all that was missing were a beer. But
this is Qatar. I asked him which way was the best way to go (I brought Farrah
with me of course!!), and he told me that further south is way cleaner than any
other options, so off I went.
I waded in the ankle deep, warm and gentle waters of the
Gulf. Here I am in Qatar, pursuing a master’s degree in Gulf Studies, and feeling the Gulf’s warm waters for the very first
time. Amazing. I think we tend to forget or try to eliminate the actual,
geography of the earth from time to time…. It felt so good to reconnect and
remind myself where I was exactly.
When I finally felt the strain of walking (and really needed
to pee), I found a nice sandy spot surrounded by mangroves on either side, and
just sat for a while. I brought a towel, so I kicked off my shoes and let
myself just be a part of the landscape. Eventually, all kinds of birds started
to appear. At one point, a big grey goose came flip flopping out of the
mangroves to my left, checked me out, and kept flip flopping his way across the
beach. Farrah thought it was just the most amazing thing ever, and stared like
crazy. That goose just did not care about us at all, and just kept on his merry
way, not 20 feet away.
Walking back I carried Farrah (since she appears to be
terrified of the ocean) and waded through the tiny, crystal clear waves all the
way back to Shuwaisma. Every tiny wave that sloshed helplessly over my ankles
felt as if it were washing away a tiny part of the dirt that tends to cake up
over your heart from time to time. Periodically I would stop, stare out to sea,
and breathe in that sweet salinity… Each exhale carrying with it bits of dirt
and ash.
By the time I had made it back to the sandy grounds near the
Shuwaisma coast guard station I felt like a totally new person. I just wish
that Mr. Ahmed hadn’t soured it by throwing his weight around, chastising me
for my bad parking. There was also a dreadfully skinny dog that came bounding
up to my car out of NOWHERE, who was just begging for love. Unfortunately I
already have one charge, who happens to HATE most other dogs. So I gave this
tiny guy some water and two stale ladoos that had been in my glove box since
Thursday. I really hope he makes it. Breaks my heart to see an animal in need
like that….
I hope my internet dies more often, so that I’m forced to go
out and explore like that more often. Good show. I encourage you all to get out
and see a little nature.
Peace and love always <3
No comments:
Post a Comment