Sunday, November 11, 2012

About to be very unpopular with a lot of Qataris....

Hello all!

I realized I haven't been blogging lately, but things have gotten a bit more intense here as time goes on. More and more assignments roll in, and I have just scored an internship at the Brookings Institution here in Doha... (Hooray for me!)

I really need to get something off my chest that's been bothering me for a while... You may get a hint of this in my previous post about the medical commission, but here's to me saying it straight out: Qatari government employees are DICKS. All of them (except for the one female manager at the medical commission, she seemed to have a tiny scrap of heart left). I have never ever been treated nicely or fairly by a Qatari government employee here. I cannot count how many times I have been insulted, ignored, or dismissed by Qatari gov't employees who just didn't want to bother with me, didn't know what they were doing, or had incorrect information.

While I totally understand that Qataris inherently have a little air of  superiority, this is outrageous. If it weren't for me and other expats like myself, there would be NO Qatar, and these government employees would have no job! All of these places where the employees are rude are government institutions, which means they exclusively hire Qataris, are most of them are set up with the sole purpose of expat bureaucracy (expat medical exams, expat license conversion, etc). In all honestly, most Qataris work for the expats, not the other way around!

I'm not trying to force Qataris into submission in their own country... Far from it. However, would it be too much to ask for Qatari government employees to at least act a little bit friendlier? Don't bust out the cakes and non-alcoholic champagne for me and my counterparts, but at least don't treat us like the worst kind of dirt! We are human beings too (shocking, I'm sure) and we have feelings, jobs, families, and lives too. The expats in Qatar made this country what it is today so that Qataris could have a big fancy, shiny playground to spend their endless riyals in. Don't forget that without the expats, there would be no Qatar.

All I'm asking is that the next time a Qatari government employee backtalks an expat, they ask themselves how they would feel if somebody insulted them (in another, strange, foreign country no doubt - especially with language barriers).

We are all human beings. On the day of judgment, I can guarantee Qataris will be standing shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Americans and unwashed South Asian laborers. So get OVER it.

Peace and love always <3

No comments:

Post a Comment