After some long a grueling travel, I have finally safely arrived in Doha with my little baby Farrah in tow. For all of you who don't know, no I don't have a little brown-haired daughter, Farrah is my one-and-only, my most lovable chihuahua. I could never imagine leaving her behind when I decided to come to Doha for graduate school at Qatar University. She had to come with me, it wasn't an option really...
Needless to say, Farrah really detested the whole international travel experience. For anyone interested in reading about my experiences taking her overseas on such a long international flight can check out my featured post on DogJaunt.com (link to come soon).
Lucky for me, my fabulous man-friend (not boyfriend... ha) met me at the airport and assisted me in everything from finding an apartment to setting up internet and mobile phone service. Advice for anyone new to Doha, while Q-Tel is the best advertised and most popular company for internet and phone service, don't be fooled! I decided to go with Vodafone and couldn't be happier. While I won't be able to have a landline internet (a lot of apartment complexes offer free wifi, check with your real estate company first), I got a USB internet connection and postpaid mobile phone service (with internet for iPhone) at a remarkably lower price than what Q-Tel wanted to charge me for less than the same amount of service. Ridiculous. There have been claims that since Vodafone is new to the country, their service is not as widespread, but honestly I haven't noticed any issues with quality or reception. I get 3g service everywhere, and I always have a decent amount of bars.
Buck the status quo! Go with Vodafone and not Q-Tel...
I am happily and safely living in a ridiculously overpriced fully furnished apartment in Umm Ghuwaylina, Doha, Qatar. I've had some difficulties finding a rental in the first place (on account of I won't be receiving my Qatari ID for another week or so), but this place seems to be working out just fine. Most apartment complexes in Doha have 24/7 security staff, and my place is no exception. The terrifically friendly guard, Jaafer, knows all the tenants by name and takes extra care to make sure I'm accommodated (I believe on account of I'm a single woman living alone).
I'm actually looking to relocate to an apartment closer to Qatar University that will be more friendly towards little Farrah (she's actually, technically unwelcome here) and will cost me less in taxi-fare. Speaking of which, the taxis here can be a little ridiculous.... The official taxis (called Karwa) need to be booked in a previous life (I've called at 11am and been told none are available until 6pm), although I've had very good luck flagging them down on the side of the road. One can also opt for private transport, although these guys often charge an arm and a leg!! I've taken rides with private drivers who feel no shame in asking for DOUBLE what a Karwa would charge.... Ridiculous.
Anyways, I'm hoping this blog will be a place where I can share my experiences for any who care to read, or none!! Doesn't matter to me, point is that I'm enjoying myself, and I hope to share some of that with the world :)
Peace and love always <3
Needless to say, Farrah really detested the whole international travel experience. For anyone interested in reading about my experiences taking her overseas on such a long international flight can check out my featured post on DogJaunt.com (link to come soon).
Lucky for me, my fabulous man-friend (not boyfriend... ha) met me at the airport and assisted me in everything from finding an apartment to setting up internet and mobile phone service. Advice for anyone new to Doha, while Q-Tel is the best advertised and most popular company for internet and phone service, don't be fooled! I decided to go with Vodafone and couldn't be happier. While I won't be able to have a landline internet (a lot of apartment complexes offer free wifi, check with your real estate company first), I got a USB internet connection and postpaid mobile phone service (with internet for iPhone) at a remarkably lower price than what Q-Tel wanted to charge me for less than the same amount of service. Ridiculous. There have been claims that since Vodafone is new to the country, their service is not as widespread, but honestly I haven't noticed any issues with quality or reception. I get 3g service everywhere, and I always have a decent amount of bars.
Buck the status quo! Go with Vodafone and not Q-Tel...
I am happily and safely living in a ridiculously overpriced fully furnished apartment in Umm Ghuwaylina, Doha, Qatar. I've had some difficulties finding a rental in the first place (on account of I won't be receiving my Qatari ID for another week or so), but this place seems to be working out just fine. Most apartment complexes in Doha have 24/7 security staff, and my place is no exception. The terrifically friendly guard, Jaafer, knows all the tenants by name and takes extra care to make sure I'm accommodated (I believe on account of I'm a single woman living alone).
I'm actually looking to relocate to an apartment closer to Qatar University that will be more friendly towards little Farrah (she's actually, technically unwelcome here) and will cost me less in taxi-fare. Speaking of which, the taxis here can be a little ridiculous.... The official taxis (called Karwa) need to be booked in a previous life (I've called at 11am and been told none are available until 6pm), although I've had very good luck flagging them down on the side of the road. One can also opt for private transport, although these guys often charge an arm and a leg!! I've taken rides with private drivers who feel no shame in asking for DOUBLE what a Karwa would charge.... Ridiculous.
Anyways, I'm hoping this blog will be a place where I can share my experiences for any who care to read, or none!! Doesn't matter to me, point is that I'm enjoying myself, and I hope to share some of that with the world :)
Peace and love always <3
I thought that Farrah was your daughter for a while, but you reminded that :-P
ReplyDeleteMany exciting things you said there. You'll find Qatari people generous and welcoming, just like Jaafer. I haven't been to Doha, but I've been in Manama, Bahrain. I don't think it's far from the prefrences of Doha. Thier people were welcoming and generous, but their Karwa are always available! :-p and cars are driven by Bahrinis.
While I searched on Google, I noticed this website (http://www.timeoutdoha.com/). It's great and might benefit you there ;)
Have a great experince in Umm Guwaylina..
She basically is my daughter tho :P
DeleteThanks for the advice!! I'll check it out :)