This is something that has been bothering me ever since I arrived in Doha, and I'll try to keep it relatively short. I believe that most people who have lived in this country for any length of time will understand what I am trying to say here.
Why are there no physical addresses in this country? You know it's true. Everyone and their uncle has a PO box, and physical addresses don't appear on Google maps or anywhere else. As far as I know there are actually physical addresses (each apartment building I've seen does have a plaque displaying building number, street number, neighborhood, etc.) and yet those identifiers are useless when plugged into any online mapping device.
The same is true even for the Qatar University campus. I have met employees who have worked here for a number of years who still have absolutely no idea how to get from point A to point B without asking for directions. In this way, you leapfrog along from one landmark to the next, until you meet that one person who can explain to you (simply AND accurately) how to get where you're going....
So far, I've found that the only way to get around is by knowing landmarks (buildings, malls, famous areas), and by knowing the general direction you want to go. Doha is relatively small as big cities go, and in the two weeks I've been here I can navigate around pretty well. Granted, I don't have a car, but at least I can tell when a taxi or driver is trying to take the long (sometimes excessively long) way back to my apartment.
When I was first looking for an apartment to rent, I can't tell you how many panicked phone calls there were between me and potential landlords that went something like this:
"You're located in XYZ neighborhood, right? How do I get there?"
"Go straight, do you see that huge building? Good, drive past it. There will be a roundabout, with a rainbow or arch or something like that. Go through it. Then there will be another roundabout. And another two or three of them. Then turn left. Then turn right. Then double back on top of yourself and take the obscure exit onto the tiny, unmarked side street..."
Perhaps this all has to do with the Arab legacy of the "oral tradition". The only way to find anything here is to have somebody explain the details to you in a long, often rambling, way. Often there is a surprising or sudden sharp turn near the end of the story. And always there is a "hook" in the beginning, fooling the fainthearted into believing the forthcoming navigation will be simple.
No joke. If you ever had to get somewhere in a hurry during your first few days in Doha you know what I'm talking about. I honestly can't wait until I have wheels of my own and I won't have to deal with that anymore... I will be able to peacefully get lost all on my own!
Peace and love always <3
Why are there no physical addresses in this country? You know it's true. Everyone and their uncle has a PO box, and physical addresses don't appear on Google maps or anywhere else. As far as I know there are actually physical addresses (each apartment building I've seen does have a plaque displaying building number, street number, neighborhood, etc.) and yet those identifiers are useless when plugged into any online mapping device.
The same is true even for the Qatar University campus. I have met employees who have worked here for a number of years who still have absolutely no idea how to get from point A to point B without asking for directions. In this way, you leapfrog along from one landmark to the next, until you meet that one person who can explain to you (simply AND accurately) how to get where you're going....
So far, I've found that the only way to get around is by knowing landmarks (buildings, malls, famous areas), and by knowing the general direction you want to go. Doha is relatively small as big cities go, and in the two weeks I've been here I can navigate around pretty well. Granted, I don't have a car, but at least I can tell when a taxi or driver is trying to take the long (sometimes excessively long) way back to my apartment.
When I was first looking for an apartment to rent, I can't tell you how many panicked phone calls there were between me and potential landlords that went something like this:
"You're located in XYZ neighborhood, right? How do I get there?"
"Go straight, do you see that huge building? Good, drive past it. There will be a roundabout, with a rainbow or arch or something like that. Go through it. Then there will be another roundabout. And another two or three of them. Then turn left. Then turn right. Then double back on top of yourself and take the obscure exit onto the tiny, unmarked side street..."
Perhaps this all has to do with the Arab legacy of the "oral tradition". The only way to find anything here is to have somebody explain the details to you in a long, often rambling, way. Often there is a surprising or sudden sharp turn near the end of the story. And always there is a "hook" in the beginning, fooling the fainthearted into believing the forthcoming navigation will be simple.
No joke. If you ever had to get somewhere in a hurry during your first few days in Doha you know what I'm talking about. I honestly can't wait until I have wheels of my own and I won't have to deal with that anymore... I will be able to peacefully get lost all on my own!
Peace and love always <3
Don't worry, you will soon get used to the "local system" of directions. It happens to all "newbies", but after a while, once you know the names of all the various roundabouts, travel to new places will be a dream. When / If you get a car, buy a GPS, you will find it very useful - Yes, many places will not be on the GPS maps, but find a place close by and work it from there. Good luck and don't get lost !!
ReplyDelete