So, since I've been here I've been compiling a mental list of all of my favorite things about Doha (and, more generally, the Middle East). Remember that I was born and raised very American, so some of these things may seem contrary to what you would want me to think. No, I haven't been brainwashed, I've just found the pleasure in some simple things Middle Eastern culture takes for granted.
A short list of my favorite things about the Middle East:
-Female only nail, beauty & hair salons
This may seem weird for people who know me as a huge advocate of gender equality. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put down women at ALL. On the contrary, it cannot be overstated how nice it is as a hijabi convert to have the option of going to a salon or spa and not need to worry about covering my hair or who's going to give me a massage. In all honesty, I haven't had my hair done once since I started wearing hijab 3 years ago and I am SO excited to finally feel pretty under my scarf again....
-Female only gyms
This could have been lumped into the above but I wanted it separate for a specific reason. While it may only be hijabis and muslims that see the benefits of female only salons, I think most women (regardless of culture or religion) can be excited about female only gyms. I know we all hate the terrifically skinny girl who doesn't break a sweat and wears mascara and makeup to the gym, and I will never be that girl (thank GOD). But the fact that I can go to the gym in shorts and a tank top with nothing on my head and huff and puff until I'm as bright red as a tomato THRILLS me. Yee-haw.
-Curry leaves in every supermarket
You should know, I love (LOVE) Indian food. I could literally eat Indian food every day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. No questions asked. So while I love that curry (kari, whatever) leaves are available in every supermarket, I also love that I can find dates, taro root, paneer, chapati, banana leaves, 4 different kinds of eggplants, and coconut oil all in my local run-of-the-mill grocery store. Freakin' sweet.
-Modesty
This may sound like a given, but I love that the modesty level here is so much higher. Women wearing hijab and niqab are the norm, and the ones getting stared at are the Americans and Europeans in short skirts and spaghetti-straps. Divine retribution??
-Chaos
Call me a freak, but I love how much more chaotic things are here! From driving, to walking around, to bargaining... I love that there is an emphasis on the collective here. All of the chaos may seem frightening and terrifying to the unenlightened, but I believe it to actually be more of an acute awareness of the world. People aren't just stuck in their own bubble as they go from point A to point B. They are forced to observe and interact (sometimes harshly!) with one another if they hope to get anywhere. There are no addresses here really, and everyone gives directions in relation to the nearest landmark. As such, you find yourself constantly stopping and talking to strangers if you ever want to find where you're going. Loving all the human interaction.
Honestly, that's all I can think of for now. I told you it was a short list! I'm sure later on I'll come up with a list of things I hate about the Middle East, but for now, la vie en rose, and I am in love with everything!! I'm sure that'll change.... I'll keep you posted.
Peace and love always <3
A short list of my favorite things about the Middle East:
-Female only nail, beauty & hair salons
This may seem weird for people who know me as a huge advocate of gender equality. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put down women at ALL. On the contrary, it cannot be overstated how nice it is as a hijabi convert to have the option of going to a salon or spa and not need to worry about covering my hair or who's going to give me a massage. In all honesty, I haven't had my hair done once since I started wearing hijab 3 years ago and I am SO excited to finally feel pretty under my scarf again....
-Female only gyms
This could have been lumped into the above but I wanted it separate for a specific reason. While it may only be hijabis and muslims that see the benefits of female only salons, I think most women (regardless of culture or religion) can be excited about female only gyms. I know we all hate the terrifically skinny girl who doesn't break a sweat and wears mascara and makeup to the gym, and I will never be that girl (thank GOD). But the fact that I can go to the gym in shorts and a tank top with nothing on my head and huff and puff until I'm as bright red as a tomato THRILLS me. Yee-haw.
-Curry leaves in every supermarket
You should know, I love (LOVE) Indian food. I could literally eat Indian food every day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. No questions asked. So while I love that curry (kari, whatever) leaves are available in every supermarket, I also love that I can find dates, taro root, paneer, chapati, banana leaves, 4 different kinds of eggplants, and coconut oil all in my local run-of-the-mill grocery store. Freakin' sweet.
-Modesty
This may sound like a given, but I love that the modesty level here is so much higher. Women wearing hijab and niqab are the norm, and the ones getting stared at are the Americans and Europeans in short skirts and spaghetti-straps. Divine retribution??
-Chaos
Call me a freak, but I love how much more chaotic things are here! From driving, to walking around, to bargaining... I love that there is an emphasis on the collective here. All of the chaos may seem frightening and terrifying to the unenlightened, but I believe it to actually be more of an acute awareness of the world. People aren't just stuck in their own bubble as they go from point A to point B. They are forced to observe and interact (sometimes harshly!) with one another if they hope to get anywhere. There are no addresses here really, and everyone gives directions in relation to the nearest landmark. As such, you find yourself constantly stopping and talking to strangers if you ever want to find where you're going. Loving all the human interaction.
Honestly, that's all I can think of for now. I told you it was a short list! I'm sure later on I'll come up with a list of things I hate about the Middle East, but for now, la vie en rose, and I am in love with everything!! I'm sure that'll change.... I'll keep you posted.
Peace and love always <3
Well, It's the normal place women should be in, not just in Muslim countries, but Western countries...etc. for two basic reasons. First, for men to not get attracted. Second, for women to be safe and not get harassed and to take thier full enjoyment not being worried about men being here.
ReplyDeleteI always thank Allah for the grace of Islam, because it's just what mankind should hold on to, and it ullistrates how people should live.
If you came to KSA, you'll see more chaos! and more foreigners here, Most of them are Pakistanis :-p
I didn't know you love Indian food! well, you'll se many Indian resturants in Doha I'm sure. Indian food has spread across the world!