Friday, September 7, 2012

Medical Commission... Keeping Qatar healthy or endangering migrants??

So a few days ago I went for my scheduled trip to the Medical Commission as per the request of Qatar University in an effort to finally (FINALLY) get my Qatari ID. I've been told, and it's true, you can't leave the house without your Qatari ID. So true. You need it to rent an apartment, get a phone, open a bank account, blow your nose.... You get the point. I've been lucky enough to have the help of someone wonderful ( <3 ) in doing all these things, so no worries there...

Anyways, first thing is they tell you you will be there for 3 whole hours (from 4-7pm). Lies. I was done at 4:30. Anyways, you go in and go to have your blood drawn. Most of the security personnel on the womens' side wore niqab (and most of them were SO happy to see I was an American-Muslim convert), and one of them handed me one of those blood collection vials and told me to wait in line. This is all a new experience for me... In America you would never be allowed to hold your own (sanitary I hope) blood collection vile, unwashed, ungloved hands and all. I was then shepherded to wait in a line with about 10 other women (Philipinas, Nepalis, Indians, Russians....) where one poor overworked nurse was drawing blood from about 10 people every 5 or so minutes. While I did notice her changing gloves in between patients, I also saw her texting and calling on her BlackBerry in between patients and after gloving.... Umm, eww. I'm assuming needles were changed and the area was sanitized, but still... If the whole point of these tests is to test for diseases like HIV and hepatitis, pardon me for saying, shouldn't there be more stringent sanitation policies in place?? Just sayin'....

After that I was herded into another area where I was told to strip (ow ow!) and was practically arrested and manhandled against a wall by a large Egyptian sounding nurse. Then I was instructed "Take-a your breeth" and "Hold-a your breeth".... Word on the street is that they X-ray your lungs for signs of TB.

All in all, not an experience I hope to repeat any time soon (although I've heard it's a yearly event). Anyone coming to Qatar and hoping to obtain a residence permit be forewarned... The Medical Commission is super lame and super sketchy....

Peace and love always <3

1 comment:

  1. hahahahahaha! That's what being in an Arab country means! CHAOS! :-D

    Did you here how the Egyptian nurse speak English? Isn't it funny? :-p i.e. every 'th' = 'z' :-p

    You're right. If the point of the test is to test HIV and like so, it should be over-sanitized!

    well, is that just what you have to do to get Qatari-ID?

    ReplyDelete