I just received an email from the International Students Section at Qatar University which outlined the dress code for campus. This email was sent out ONLY to the international students (to my knowledge) and honestly, I've never seen this on the QU website anywhere (it's probably there, needless to say I never actively sought it).
None of what is outlined applies to me (except for the tattoo part, but I'm not too concerned about that, mostly I only have one which is borderline visible, and it mostly stays pretty well hidden) but it still annoys me hugely. I've never been a fan of dress codes; even in middle school I was notorious for being sent to the office for "inappropriate clothing". In government offices across the USA I've been chastised for wearing a headscarf. This has happened to me even in places like Wallgreens, where I've gone to take passport photos. Why does it matter to the world how other people dress??
Don't get me wrong, I know I'm in the Middle East, and I have NO problem with modesty. Most of the things in the QU email seem acceptable: no mini skirts or tank tops, don't show your bra or cleavage. I'm cool with that. I don't mind bucking the modern trend of leaving nothing to the imagination. I think our global society and culture could benefit from a little bit of covering up.
But then.... The email goes on. The list of banned clothing items includes sweatpants, track pants, bermuda shorts and leggings. Oh, so now not only are we enforcing modesty, we are chastising laziness too. Can you imagine if this was enforced on college campuses in the USA? Frat boys would stop coming to class entirely, and most of the females would be completely at a loss as to what to wear without their booty shorts, short skirts, sweatpants (& Uggs), or leggings. Dear God!!
The list, however, is far from finished. If this were a plea for modesty the list would have ended with the ban on short garments and cleavage. Oh no. All "unnatural" hairstyles are forthwith banned, including unnatural coloring of the hair, dreadlocks, and "unnatural cuts". Explicit phrases or graphics are banned from clothing items.
And on to my favorite parts. "Perfumes and make-up should be in good taste, and the rule is to wear them with restraint." That, my friends, is a direct quote. To whose good taste? Isn't it beautiful that we are all unique in our differences? Who will be the judge of whether the artsy-fartsy makeup I decide to wear one day is in "good taste"? Is the administration going to smell me before I step onto campus to judge the quality of my perfume? I don't get that. This part is no longer for modesty's sake, but for the sake of conformity. I'm sure if they had their way, abayas would be the only acceptable form of dress on campus. Too bad they're trying to be a university of regional and global caliber.
The last part, which ticks me off, is about tattoos. The communication clearly states that all visible tattoos should be covered. I understand that many people (not just in the Middle East) are not a fan of tattoos. Many scholars deem them "un-Islamic" and say that they should be banned outright. But banned on a university campus? University, a time when young adults should be exploring and understanding the world around them; a time when rebellion and mistakes should be cherished and encouraged. Students should not be forced to cover up and hide their differences. Uniqueness and individual identity should be celebrated!
Being a hijabi, none of the above really applies to me. That doesn't change the fact that it totally upsets me. I chose to come to Qatar University because I believed that this institution and this great State of Qatar are leading pillars of progress in the region. I was shocked and sad to receive this communication the weekend before classes are due to start. While I do support the encouragement of more modest dress, this dress code crosses the line into forced conformism within the student body. I can't wait til January, and for that one day when it's cool enough for me to waltz onto the university campus in my tight punk rawk leather jacket. I'll have eyeliner dark as Marilyn Manson, faux-hawk hijab, and temporary tattoos all down my arms. Oh, and blaring The Kominas "I Want a Handjob" as loud as my little Sony headphones will go. Yes. It'll happen, just wait and see.
I really hope this sort of forced conformism doesn't extend to other sectors of the university, because honestly, if it does, I may just find that Qatar University may not be right for me after all. I really hope not, since I am absolutely LOVING this country and my colleagues so far.
Peace and love always <3
None of what is outlined applies to me (except for the tattoo part, but I'm not too concerned about that, mostly I only have one which is borderline visible, and it mostly stays pretty well hidden) but it still annoys me hugely. I've never been a fan of dress codes; even in middle school I was notorious for being sent to the office for "inappropriate clothing". In government offices across the USA I've been chastised for wearing a headscarf. This has happened to me even in places like Wallgreens, where I've gone to take passport photos. Why does it matter to the world how other people dress??
Don't get me wrong, I know I'm in the Middle East, and I have NO problem with modesty. Most of the things in the QU email seem acceptable: no mini skirts or tank tops, don't show your bra or cleavage. I'm cool with that. I don't mind bucking the modern trend of leaving nothing to the imagination. I think our global society and culture could benefit from a little bit of covering up.
But then.... The email goes on. The list of banned clothing items includes sweatpants, track pants, bermuda shorts and leggings. Oh, so now not only are we enforcing modesty, we are chastising laziness too. Can you imagine if this was enforced on college campuses in the USA? Frat boys would stop coming to class entirely, and most of the females would be completely at a loss as to what to wear without their booty shorts, short skirts, sweatpants (& Uggs), or leggings. Dear God!!
The list, however, is far from finished. If this were a plea for modesty the list would have ended with the ban on short garments and cleavage. Oh no. All "unnatural" hairstyles are forthwith banned, including unnatural coloring of the hair, dreadlocks, and "unnatural cuts". Explicit phrases or graphics are banned from clothing items.
And on to my favorite parts. "Perfumes and make-up should be in good taste, and the rule is to wear them with restraint." That, my friends, is a direct quote. To whose good taste? Isn't it beautiful that we are all unique in our differences? Who will be the judge of whether the artsy-fartsy makeup I decide to wear one day is in "good taste"? Is the administration going to smell me before I step onto campus to judge the quality of my perfume? I don't get that. This part is no longer for modesty's sake, but for the sake of conformity. I'm sure if they had their way, abayas would be the only acceptable form of dress on campus. Too bad they're trying to be a university of regional and global caliber.
The last part, which ticks me off, is about tattoos. The communication clearly states that all visible tattoos should be covered. I understand that many people (not just in the Middle East) are not a fan of tattoos. Many scholars deem them "un-Islamic" and say that they should be banned outright. But banned on a university campus? University, a time when young adults should be exploring and understanding the world around them; a time when rebellion and mistakes should be cherished and encouraged. Students should not be forced to cover up and hide their differences. Uniqueness and individual identity should be celebrated!
Being a hijabi, none of the above really applies to me. That doesn't change the fact that it totally upsets me. I chose to come to Qatar University because I believed that this institution and this great State of Qatar are leading pillars of progress in the region. I was shocked and sad to receive this communication the weekend before classes are due to start. While I do support the encouragement of more modest dress, this dress code crosses the line into forced conformism within the student body. I can't wait til January, and for that one day when it's cool enough for me to waltz onto the university campus in my tight punk rawk leather jacket. I'll have eyeliner dark as Marilyn Manson, faux-hawk hijab, and temporary tattoos all down my arms. Oh, and blaring The Kominas "I Want a Handjob" as loud as my little Sony headphones will go. Yes. It'll happen, just wait and see.
I really hope this sort of forced conformism doesn't extend to other sectors of the university, because honestly, if it does, I may just find that Qatar University may not be right for me after all. I really hope not, since I am absolutely LOVING this country and my colleagues so far.
Peace and love always <3
Why you don't complain about it, or make a suggestion to QU. I'm sure that many students don't like this dress code.
ReplyDeletelaughed at what you wanna do in january..!! looool!!
First allow me to officially welcome you to Qatar and Qatar University, I hope you find your two years here pleasant. As much as I love a fellow students opinions over QU life and development as an active student member in student affairs and activities, I must say you have got the wrong impression of the email. You have been a student and citizen of Qatar for what? two weeks or so, your American ideology of freedom of expression is most welcomed but we are a first an islamic society and two a society and university that takes pride on its culture and traditions, and I stress culture and tradition because its the most important aspect of our lives here, remember this is a state university and not a private like Qatar Foundation.
ReplyDeleteNow the issue of the “dress code” first and for-most the email was not a dress code enforcement but an “ETIQUETTE (Dress and public behavior) advice on what is appropriate and inappropriate within campus grounds for all students, faculty and administration. And this is something that students have been protesting and actively asking for through social media and the public newspapers, we have openly invited it and are happy about. However the university did make a mistake on how they worded it, that I agree with. If you compare the Arabic version to the English there is a huge difference in items they advice you not to wear.
I personally think there was a problem with the translation, for the Arabic version it says regarding body work that is offensive to culture and tradition we ask it to be hidden. e.g If you have a tattoo of a butterfly no one is going to say anything, but if you have a tattoo of a naked women visible then you should cover it.
Now for the parts you have issues with (sweatpants, trackpants, bermuda shorts and leggings) I can explain easily why this was put up. You were looking at it from an Americans point of view not a Gulf point of view.
Sweatpants and trackpants:
This was put in to yes not look like a “Frat boy” however I use the term with the definition of homosexual, you see here in the Gulf we like to call them “Booya’s” (girls who dress like boys) and it huge problem for the Gulf states in which they are trying to stop, when you walk round campus and you see a girl with a spiky hair cut, fake tattoos up her neck a million piecing and a pretty girl all dolled up in thousands of dollars of designer clothing and jewelry then that is what we call a classic “boyya-banoota” image.
However if an American girl like you came to campus in sweatpants no one would stop you or say anything other then think “can’t she dress decent before leaving her house”, but then again we do have that image of Americans not dressing decent on campus (although i don't know how one can leave ones house without making ones self presentable).
bermuda shorts:
This one I believe is on the list because the shorts were getting too tight and too short for our culture and tradition, (don’t think people care about that one, i’m sure it will be ignored)
Leggings:
aaa the infamous leggings, I personally never leave my house without wearing leggings and a cute vintage inspired knee length summer dress. Come to think of it EVERYONE in QU wears leggings, now what is it they have asked we not do, well it is to NOT wear leggings as the following:
leggings without an abaya and a short top so your camel toes show explicitly.
leggings with an open abaya and a short top so your camel toes show explicitly.
These are trends that have made students and faculty (males and female) uncomfortable.
Now for the rest, “hairstyles” again this is for the whole “boyya” Starbucks girls, (to understand more you need to sit in Starbucks for a few hours at the busiest time, Thursday 11am.)
ReplyDeletehair dye is fine, they just went a bit silly with the translation I think, you should know QU girls are the most stylish girls internationally, you can find the latest fashion fresh off the runway at Starbucks, we have pride in how we dress and present ourself, and our culture and tradition is important to us.
Now for your favorite part (perfumes and make-up) if you were an undergraduate at QU you would thank this rule, having a million different designer strong perfumes being sprayed at once in a small classroom will have you running to the doors. You have to understand that in Islam it is prohibited for women to wear perfume in front of male who are not relatives. The university isn’t restricting it, they just ask you kindly to not use it if the professor is a man and islamic or like i said very strong. Now makeup is a HUGE issue, no one leaves the house without being dolled up like a NY fashion week, again head to Starbucks for visual observation. Your comment on “I'm sure if they had their way, abayas would be the only acceptable form of dress on campus” is unneeded for because QU its students, faculty, staff RESPECTS all forms of diversity, our president and vice president DON’T wear abaya’s on campus they are both Qatari women and years ago abaya’s were prohibited as there was a uniform back then.
I already explained the tattoo part, what I would like to add is yes we respect students uniqueness and individual identity but we also respect our culture and traditions, your coming to a university that calls your parents if you make a mistake or rebel and that values Qatari culture above all.
Your last part is (I’m not sure how to put it) so I won’t, I really don’t want to come off rude, because I am really happy an international student is taking interest with on campus life.
But lets just say if you did decide to come like that, you wouldn’t get in any trouble from the admin, you clearly haven’t seen eyeliner put on by a bedu :P (Qatari joke) and again your an American, a convert and a guest in our country so most people would smile and welcome you and ask about your story.
I just want to end this REALLY long comment with, the email was really meant for local students and undergraduates. If I am not mistaken I saw on twitter that you are a graduate in the Gulf studies program so you won’t be seeing any student life, or face any problems, graduates enter from another section of the university for class because they are mixed and at night. we finish around 3-4pm where else graduates are from 6pm-9pm.
You should defiantly discuss culture and politics more (if you are interested in it) with Dr. Wright or Dr. Mazhar Al Zo’oby or more get to know the Gulf community, you will love the traditions and culture here.
Sorry for rambling I just get really excited when it comes to inter culture and effects :$
Instead of continually comparing your new life in Doha with the life you left behind in the US, you should take time to sit back and first observe your new surroundings.
ReplyDeleteYou have only been in Qatar for a very short time and thus are not in a real position to comment.
In any new society / culture there are things that will irritate or make you uncomfortable - but hey, that is why to decided to leave your home come to a ME country, isn't it?
Like you Doha is having to adjust to the outside influences that are coming in from the outside.
Yes, sometimes it over reacts as a "knee jerk" reaction, the QU email is proof of that.
Better for you to observe, take notes and after a suitable period of time, make your concerns known. I am sure that your comments (coming from a guest), will be welcomed.
Try to "rock the boat" too early will antagonise your fellows and cause un -needed stress for both of you.
Doha is a very nice, accommodating and expanding country - you will certainly have up days and down days, but in the end your experience will be worth it.
Take care and welcome to Doda